(last updated May 4, 2021)
Before You Come:
Familiarize yourself with how we manage this conservation site and all of the visitor rules. Many activities such as dog-walking, petting the birds, jogging or bicycling on trails, picking any vegetation or flying drones, for example, are not allowed. Our non-profit organization, the British Columbia Waterfowl Society runs the Sanctuary and admissions apply. You can buy a membership to cover admission for a year. The Sanctuary is in a rural setting on Westham Island. The travel time from Surrey and Vancouver is usually 45 minutes.
- All visitors including members need to book their visit now.
- Read our Covid Waiver and Terms and Conditions for Visiting (Mandatory)
- Vehicle parking reservations:
- Reserve a date and time slot (am or pm) in our on-line booking system.
- Book one parking spot for your vehicle (you do not need to reserve for the occupants of your vehicle).
- Weekend time spots fill up quickly, so you will need to go on-line at the right time. (see Reference Table)
- If you are having trouble booking a visit, please check our Question and Answers section before calling us.
- Bicycle parking reservations:
- Please email us before 3 pm the day before. We will confirm your reservation.
- Reserved bike spots are only for those using bicycles as their main transportation out to the Sanctuary. It is inappropriate to park "somewhere nearby " or anywhere on Westham Island just to cycle over to the Sanctuary, as this inconveniences our island neightbours.
Upon Your Arrival:
Come prepared. Dress appropriate for walking outdoors on gravel and grassy trails. Seasonal weather makes for constantly changing trail conditions. Wear proper footwear and proceed with care and attention on our trails and on any of our structures. Visitors use these at their own risk. Please review our Disclaimer page.
Check in at the Gift Shop. This is where you pay your admission. Staff will provide you maps of the area, bird seed, and information about the birds seen recently and answer questions. Note some temporary changes of facility use and hours are in place to reduce Covid-19 Coronavirus transmissions.
9 am to 4 pm
Most visitors spend 1 to 1.5 hours walking. Note that all visitors need to be out of the Sanctuary by 4 pm. (NEW)
Annual memberships are available.
The Sanctuary is 13 km west of Ladner in the Municipality of Delta. Ladner is west of the intersection of Highways 10 and 17A. From Ladner, follow Ladner Trunk Road (Highway 10) west to 47A Avenue and on to River Road. Follow River Road westward for 3 km and cross the bridge on your right onto Westham Island. Follow the main road to where it ends and there is a sign pointing left towards the driveway entrance gates of the Sanctuary. Follow the driveway 1 km to the Sanctuary parking lot and our facilities. (more detailed Google Maps driving instructions). NOTE: There is no public transit out to the Sanctuary.